Thursday, December 5, 2013

What do you write?

What do you write?

Someone recently asked this of a class I'm in and it got me to thinking. What do I write? 

Well, lots, that's what. I dont write just one genre. I write whatever story the character wants me to tell.

I imagine my writing style is blind painter. I'm visualizing my painting in my mind. I may not know what it's going to be, I can't fully see it. I know there are numerous colors and textures, but something else is guiding me. Something inside me. I like to believe that my characters are the ones telling their stories. They have something to share and are therefore using me to tell the story. 

Not like a ghost or anything... My heads not turning around and I'm spouting gibberish. More like a muse.

I don't write in a genre, the characters story flows and wherever that characters story goes ends up being the story's genre.

What's your genre? What kind of story do you write?

2 comments:

  1. Hi there fellow Pitchwarrior! I like this post, and I will be hunting down your mentee bio in a bit. But I wanted to answer your question here. I just started writing in a serious way with the intent to publish this year, and though I didn't really know what genre I would write or what sort of story would come out. But as soon as I opened a goodreads account, all my ratings gave me insight. I have a heart for children's books, and I love to write about adventures that give children a sense of wonder and help them explore their imagination. And I love having both of these when I write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds excellent! Good luck in the contest. I'm hoping I see some familiar names on that list. :)

      Sounds like a great story. Kids do love stories of wonder. It's the one place where happy endings are regular.

      Delete